Go to main navigation
1384 South Douglas Boulevard, The Timbers Office Park, Midwest City, Oklahoma 73130

Name Changes

Whether it’s to restore a former name following a divorce, to more closely identify yourself with certain members of your family, past or present, or for any other legitimate reason, if you are an Oklahoma resident you may be able to change your name, often in less than a month’s time, depending on your circumstances.

According to Oklahoma law, any person who has been domiciled and residing in Oklahoma for at least thirty (30) days may petition the district court of the county in which they reside for an order allowing them to change their name. Additionally, a parent, guardian, or “next friend”, may also seek a name change on for a minor child.

Other than the residency requirements set forth above, Oklahoma law requires that certain information be provided and specific procedures be followed to successfully obtain a name change in Oklahoma. A copy of your birth certificate may be required. Most importantly, a name change will not be granted if the court determines it is being sought for any illegal or fraudulent purpose, or to otherwise delay or hinder creditors.

While a name change can be completed in a fairly short amount of time, it is best to do so with the assistance of an experienced Oklahoma attorney, who will assist you in preparing and filing the appropriate paperwork with the courts, setting and attending the required hearing, and ensuring that all other statutory requirements are complied with. Failure to comply with the strict statutory requirements may cause the court to deny your request for a name change in Oklahoma.

If you desire to change your name, contact the experienced attorneys at The Crosthwait Law Firm to discuss your specific situation and find out more about how we can help you change your name, in an efficient and affordable manner. Our attorneys will assist you with the entire process, from beginning to end, so that the transition is as swift and efficient as possible.